Saturday, September 10, 2005

Egg delight

I am an self confessed cook. I love cooking. Never for less than four people. I generally end up cooking for 5-10 people irrespective of how many are there. A couple of weeks back some friends from coimbatore were there in town. We pontificated about where to party and ended up buying a bottle of "Old Monk", some "Kababs" and a home grown egg ommlete/pie. It was totally extempore like most of my posts and the egg pie was consumed faster than you can say "Egg pie".

So I thought I should share this discovery with all you fine folks.

All my food includes a lot of vegetables. I just had
2 carrots,
1/2 cauliflower,
1 large potato,
1 large onions,
2 tomatos
1 large bell peppers (capsicum)

a phone call to cheta (borther in mallayalam) - our friendly neighbourhood grocery shop guy ensured that I had a half a dozen eggs.

Soon the large tossing pan was on the burner and after some pre-heating onions were fried. Feel free to add any spice you wish to add along the way. The beauty of my cooking is it depends on my mood. As the food gets cooked my mood may lift up and it would turn into something new.

1) Cut all vegetables (except onions) into small pieces.
2) cut onions in thin slices.
3) Fry onion in oil till golden brown.
4) Fry all the vegetables except tomatoes. (Suggestion: Its always nice to fry one veggie at a time since various veggies take various times to cook).
5) Add red chilli powder and salt.
6) Dice tomatoes to small pieces and add.
7) lower the flame and cook in open stirring occasionally.
8) meanwhile brak the eggs and mix the white with the yoke.
9) Add the egg stir the mixture and cover it for 5 minutes, cook in low flame.
10) check for the eggs to be cooked and voilla all-india egg pie is ready.

I know this is nothing new or unique in this recepie. I would like to flatter myself in thinking so. Its just another deep psychological need of a totally worthless life.

Anyway the pie is tasty and spicy a perfect foil for old-monk, thumpsup and ice.

The trick is to be imaginative about the masala. Just be creative and see what comes out.

If you are a safety-seeker, stick with the plain salt and chilli powder. None of the vegetables are compulsary. It totally depends on what you have and how big your pan is.

4 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger Archana Ramesh said...

I stand clear.....cooking is a big science experiment with all vegetables and masalas!! I was good at science expts but the success of tarkari expts greatly depends

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger small squirrel said...

YUM!

I love eggs. This sounds good.

Italians would basically call this a frittata. Except that we start it on the stove and finish it in the oven (same pan... just cook a bit on stove and transfer to oven)...reason being that then you don't have to flip it and also it gets very fluffy.

will try with your vegetable mix ASAP.

my fave currently? goat cheese and asparagus.... YUM!

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Prat said...

I like the idea of vegetables tossed together. They are nice people and deserve to be eaten :D

Jessica: no fair. You can't tread just like that into a blog and make me hungry.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This reminds me of the wonderful Farmhouse Omelette I have for breakfast when I'm in Manipal with my brother - at Cosmo. An added ingredient they use is chopped sausages. Yummy.

A little secret on making a fluffy omelette (from someone who makes very few dishes and is not such a great cook and is pleasantly surprised when the end result is great): Add a little milk after you've beaten the eggs, to the mixture. Makes it really soft and feathery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home