Thursday, October 27, 2005

Just a minute

I lay on the bed sideways with my arms twisted to muff that nagging pain. I realized that the light was still on and sheer laziness forced me to mentally shut it out of the system. It happened then.

I found myself staring at the bedside alarm clock. Initially it was difficult, It was grindingly slow. I found myself listening to the dogs, howl, laugh, cry, howl and whine. Never a bark. I heard the heavy chugs of a passing goods train. I heard the farsi chatter of my Iranian neighbors and there I was wondering how long did a minute actually last.

Slowly all thoughts faded away and my eyes rotated along with the unhurried, purposeful movement of the second hand. The methodical tick-tock had me mesmerized. I felt as if the floor in my brain gave away hurtling to abyss all that junk I cart around. I don’t even remember what time that alarm clock showed.

Then there was silence. A silence that just said tick-tock. There was nothing ever more silent than the tick-tock that I had experienced before. “How can a clock be silent ?”, one might be tempted to ask. Silence is a factor of the mind and not the ears.

The minutes passed on until I woke up from this wide eyed stupor with a start. The 5.00 a.m. alarm chimed loud and electronic. I shut it out and went back to my thoughts. There was none. I just felt empty up there and totally peaceful. I even forgot that nagging pain on my left arm.

The first thing I wondered was, “How long exactly is a minute ?”

A minute is what it feels when you spend hours with someone. Say friends over nice whisky and succulent kebabs talking politics. Or someone really really nice discussing mundane details of a life that can be. A minute is what it takes to read Saki’s exciting ten pages introduction on early feudalism in India and the Lingayat movement. A minute is what it takes to realize how badly screwed up this world is right now.

It takes an hour on the other hand to get a parking slot in brigade road. It takes an hour to step up those few inches between you and your certain someone all the while talking inconsequential things which you and the other person aren’t even aware off. It sure does take an hour to watch one dry gaudy episode of Kyonki Saanski Bahuki Maki Jai (One of those obnoxious Hindi soaps running for like 756th episode). I had to do this while baby sitting “saumya” my niece while “Shradha” my cousin sat hypnotized in front of the tube.

It took just a minute for sandy to smile, learn a new word, try it out and practice a few uppercuts on poor uncle.

That’s when it struck like a thunderbolt. “A minute is a concept and not a quantum”

So here we are folks, What do you think ? Did it take a minute ?

13 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger vevck said...

I could very much relate to most of the incidents.

Especially, those moments spent with friends over drinks talking about politics, F1 & various other subjects.

I bet parking four wheelers anywhere around MG Road, Brigade Road, Residency Road would need atleast 2 trips on these roads.

Luckily my folks @ home don't watch those endless Hindi soaps.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Archana Ramesh said...

Whats in a day? It goes by..
A river? It flows by..
A traveller? He passes by..
Some little things in life we dont stop to see

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Siddharth said...

time...do any of us really understand it?man u have an awesome gift with words.i wish i could write like u!the really important things/realisations in life just happen like that...an dont take ages..ur really starting 2 sound like a budding j.krishnamurthi! the brigade,mg road area in b'lore is such a hub if u wanna drink..i envy u!more than 2 years since i came to b'lore :(

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Came upon your blog...

I just smiled reading your post because it is so true:-)

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the concpet of time is relative.. it can either expand or shrink and most of the times it does so without our control :P

I have had moments that seem to last almost years.. or so it felt and I have had months fade away in minutes..

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

@Vivek - :) fortunate are folks who dont have to fight for their share of F1 programs and negotiate with obnoxious soap watchers. Truly fortunate.

@archana - very much true. Feels like siddartha

@Sinusoidally - thanks a ton.

@DKM - QED

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

@siddarth - JK is a fandu guy. Someone who realised his truth, but as siddartha says to budha. "I can see you are at bliss, you have attained nirvana. But thats not something you can teach me or I can learn from you. I need to find my own path".

But very true, you read JK, you feel so light... dont you ?

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Bhavna said...

a minute is how long it takes between a bursting bladder and sheer bliss

an hour is how long it feels for a bloody web page to load on a dial up line!!!

Broadband Zindabad!!!

You write so bloody well,monsieur. You should write a book. AND VISIT MY BLOG..LONG SINCE I SAW YOU THERE!!!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Bhavna said...

Sorry,forgot to tell you..have changed my URL..many reasons, tell u in person..just go from my ID link.

sowwy..pweez forgive it?

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

vodka - thanks a ton.. Ofcourse for us mere mortals who have to pay to use internet, free internet on dialup feels like a minute :).

amrit - bindhu..

vasu

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Bhavna said...

@Vasu: you have dialup???? *giggle..fall off the chair, hurry to pick myself up..but fail...*

he he he he..still laughing...

why?!!!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

we are in the process of setting up a high speed network... till then dialup is dost...

vasu

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Bhavna said...

he he he he...i am still laughing...this is hilarious..and i dont know why...

;))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home